Sunday 14 August 2011

Across the Bay


Across the Bay
Watercolour on Paper
24cm x 35.5cm (9.5" x 14")

Do you know where this is? I took the photo on a day when Elaine and I visited Tate St Ives. It must be somewhere around there, but I cannot place it exactly. It might be Cardis Bay.

It is scene I’ve tried to paint before because of the incredible colours in the sea. A few years ago, I spent weeks working on a painting in acrylics and gave up because I couldn’t do it justice.

This was a much less pressured attempt. I painted it as a warm up over the last couple of mornings. It was an opportunity to try a few things out and to practice painting in a more carefree style. I really enjoyed it.

2 comments:

  1. Nice application too of what photographer's would call 'the rule of thirds'. Well composed and nice colours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chris,

    Thank you. I like the composition and colours as well apart from the blue closest to the distant shore – this looks too flat.

    If I were painting this again, I would put a lighter greener colour closest to the land and then put more colour variation into the area of deepest blue.

    All the best,

    Mark

    ReplyDelete