Sunday 23 October 2011

Autumn Sun on Berry Head

Autumn Sun on Berry Head
Watercolour on Paper
34cm x 52cm (13.5" x 20.5")

Elaine and I visited Berry Head last week while on holiday in Dartmouth to celebrate her birthday.

I painted the picture at one of Tony Slater’s (see Tony Slater) painting days. The theme for the day was painting large.

I like the idea of the picture, but am disappointed with the execution. I made the mistake of starting the painting without deciding how to represent the dazzling reflections on the sea. I realised I didn't have a plan when I was faced with a rapidly drying wash and no idea of what I was going to do next. Some timely advice from Tony saved the day.

The experience has helped me to recognise that I need to build a bigger repertoire of techniques. I’ve been focusing on producing paintings with my current skills and now I need to spend some time experimenting and just messing around with watercolour.

No comments:

Post a Comment