Sunday 6 November 2011

The Black Horse

The Black Horse
Watercolour on Paper
52cm x 34m (20.5" x 13.5")

Elaine commissioned this view of the Black Horse for her birthday and it is probably the most demanding picture I have painted.

The initial drawing was tricky. It is an old building on a slight slope. Lines I expected to be straight - weren’t. Objects I expected to line up – didn’t. On top of this, there are so many windowpanes.

The large areas of flat colour posed another difficulty because they aren’t very interesting to look at. I’ve tried to spice up the roof and the large yellow wall, but the picture could still do with more variety of colour and shape.

Then there are the horses. I decided not to try for accuracy and painted them with a large brush. Now I wish I had been a bit more careful.

It is not the best picture I have painted, but it invokes happy memories and was a labour of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment