Sunday 6 January 2013

More Gestures in Black and White

Leaning Forward - Gesture Drawing
22 December 2012
Conté Crayon on Paper
26cm x 28cm (10.25" x 11")

The gesture drawing in black and white exercise from the Natural Way to Draw (see Gesture in Black and White) has caused me some problems.

Eventually, I realised the main difficulty was that I was trying to use the crayon like a pencil. The exercise became more fun when I stopped expecting the precision of a pencil and started to enjoy the different types of marks the crayon can make.

Shake It - Gesture Drawing
2 January 2013
Conté Crayon on Paper
28cm x 40cm (11" x 16")

For me, it helps to decide whether a line is going to be curved or straight - which fits in nicely with the ideas from the Straight and Curved Lines exercise (Straight and Curved Lines).

Hand On Hip - Gesture Drawing
6 January 2013
Conté Crayon on Paper
26.5cm x 39.5cm (6.5" x 15.5")

It seems the exercises that have caused me the most difficulty are frequently the ones I’ve learn the most from and have ended up being my favourites.

No comments:

Post a Comment