Sunday 1 June 2014

An Atmospheric Sky

Across St Ives Bay
Watercolour on Paper
18cm x 28cm (7" x 11")

I learnt a lot from my experiments with skies at the last meeting of the Shelford Group of Artists (see Into the Light). They gave me an insight into how I want to paint and have inspired me to further experimentation.

The sky on this post is an attempt to emulate the atmospheric skies painted by Randall David Tipton. It was painted on to dry paper. I started with patches of yellow ochre in the clouds and then added some shadow colours, some clean water and  the blue of the sky. As the paints merged and dried, I softened some edges with a damp brush and dabbed at others with a paper towel.

This is basically the same technique as Sky Wash 5 painted with more confidence and bolder colours.

The scene is loosely based on the view of Godrevy Point and Island from St Ives.

No comments:

Post a Comment