Sunday 15 June 2014

Latest Sketches

Not Spooky
9 June 2014
Graphite Pencil
Daler Rowney A6 Graduate Sketchbook
105mm x 149mm (4.1" x 5.9")

These gravestones may look like the backdrop for a Hammer Horror film, but I drew them on a pleasantly warm summer’s evening - Elaine came and sat with me and read while I sketched.

In the previous post about sketches (Outlines and Blind Contour Drawings) I was working on outlines and contours. In this batch I've reverted to my normal approach - start with a light extended gesture study, then draw outlines and contours before adding shading and modelling.

I enjoy sketching and can see a progression in my drawings since I've started to make more regular use of a sketchbook. Ideally, I want to make a 30 minute sketch a daily habit, but the gaps between these sketches show I haven’t got there yet.

Coffee Maker
29 May 2014
Graphite Pencil
Daler Rowney A6 Graduate Sketchbook
105mm x 149mm (4.1" x 5.9")

This is my espresso maker. I bought it after the last one exploded. There are so many expensive coffee makers on the market it is difficult to choose between them and to justify the expenditure. In the end, I choose the simplest one I could find - it makes great coffee.

The Mulberry One
10 June 2014
Graphite Pencil
Daler Rowney A6 Graduate Sketchbook
105mm x 149mm (4.1" x 5.9")

I am secretly pleased with the sketch of the handbag. It was a surprisingly difficult subject. At first glance, it looks like you could take a few liberties with the drawing, but the relationships between the handles and the opening have to be right to be convincing.

Devil Cat Thing
27 May 2014
Graphite Pencil
Daler Rowney A6 Graduate Sketchbook
105mm x 149mm (4.1" x 5.9")

The devil cat is the evil sibling of the angel cat sculpture by Marie Prett on the previous sketching post.

No comments:

Post a Comment