Sunday 30 November 2014

Portland and the Chesil Beach

Bright Sea on a Grey Day - Abbotsbury Hill
23 November 2014
Watercolour on Paper
18cm x 12cm (7" x 5")

The view of Portland and the Chesil Beach from Abbotsbury Hill is one of my favourite scenes. I love the ancient landscape, the strangeness of the Chesil Beach and the Fleet and the graceful curve from Portland into the straightness of the beach.

Portland and the Chesil Beach

I drew these sketches and took the photograph last Sunday on a cold grey morning. I have limited experience of drawing landscapes from life and found this view to be particularly challenging. When I got home, I added some more contrast to the sketch. Next time I will focus more on the tonal differences while I am sketching.

Portland and the Chesil Beach
23 November 2014
Graphite Pencil
Daler Rowney A5 Graduate Sketchbook
210mm x 149mm (8.3" x 5.9")

One of my ambitions it is to become less reliant on painting from photographs. I would rather paint from sketches or from life.

Portland and the Chesil Beach - Gesture Drawing
23 November 2014
Graphite Pencil
Daler Rowney A5 Graduate Sketchbook
210mm x 149mm (8.3" x 5.9")

No comments:

Post a Comment