Sunday 1 April 2018

Expressive Drawing – Multi-Shape Drawing


Multi-Shape Drawing
Expressive Drawing - Chapter 4 - Build 3
Acrylic Ink and Paint on Paper
59.4cm x 84.1cm (23.4" x 33.1")

Chapter 4 of Expressive Drawing by Steven Aimone concerns Shape. I’ve posted drawings from the earlier exercises in this chapter on a previous post (see Expressive Drawing - Shape Compositions).

The third and final “Build” exercise in the chapter is a more open-ended examination of shape and shape relationships – you are even allowed to use more than one colour. I began the with some automatic drawing (aka mindless doodling, see Expressive Drawing - The Drawing Process). This evolved into an exploration of organic and geometric shapes.

I used acrylic paint and old brushes for the exercise. This choice of materials raised questions about the difference between drawing and painting. I’m not sure this is an important differentiation, but I covered over some expressive lines which I was disappointed to lose. For the next few exercises, I’m going to focus on line work with more traditional drawing materials such as charcoal and graphite.

No comments:

Post a Comment